IceWars *wink* Community
18.01.2018 22:32:57 *
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
News:

Übersicht   Hilfe Suche Profil Kalender Login Registrieren  
Seiten: [1]   Nach unten
  Drucken  
Autor Thema: Research Discount System  (Gelesen 2386 mal)
Mefistole

« am: 15.11.2009 17:14:29 »

Hello everyone,

Here's a little proposal. Instead than diminishing the cost of research according to the number of players that have completed a research ( so 30 players = 95% RP) wouldn't it be better to take in account the percentage of players that have completed a research ( 30% players = 95% RP)?

In this way in the slightly underpopulated english server things would be more just for new entries. If the highscore table is correct there are about 80 players there, so it's hard to get a research discount higher than 95% RP. On the other hand if the player-percentage system was to be implemented, no matter what the total population of the server is, noobs would get the correct research discount, allowing them to catch up a bit faster and making the game more interesting for everyone.

Any objections? Seems like a good idea to me, tell me what you think, and if the developers read this, are there any chances of you considernig such change?

Cheers  Saufen
Ben

« am: 15.11.2009 17:29:58 »

I'm for it.

I think this is a good suggestion and should be implemented. Maybe with a even bigger bonus.

5% of all players researched it => new research costs: 95%
10% of all players researched it => new research costs: 90%
95% of all players researched it => new research costs: 5%

Wstenfuchs

« am: 15.11.2009 17:34:46 »

I have suggested the sam in the german part of the game.

http://www.icewars-forum.de/index.php?topic=23198.0

Mefistole

« am: 16.11.2009 21:46:08 »

Ah, and how is it going? Are the Admins ok with it? Can't read german...
hauffe

« am: 16.11.2009 22:26:44 »

they said if the system with Researchmalus fails, there may be this change, but I think the chances are low
Ben

« am: 17.11.2009 00:33:32 »

But is there a research malus in the english version?

Mefistole

« am: 17.11.2009 01:37:14 »

What is research mauls?
Ben

« am: 17.11.2009 02:08:50 »

In the german version, if you are among the top researchers, you have to invest more research points in every new research. A bit like the research bonus but inverse.

For this malus, the preconditions of the actual research are taken into account. For example if you go straight for VV4A, then first of all, you have to research the following:
"Hyperspace theories" => "Is there anything else to eat?" => "Perfect waffles..." => finally "VV4A" (all names from the german version, hope they match). So if barely anyone has yet researched "Hyperspace theories" (the research 3 levels before the one you're currently researching), then you'd have to pay a high price for researching VV4A. The malus could be up to ~800% (?) of the normal research costs...

Gray
Global Moderator

« am: 17.11.2009 19:29:27 »

The research malus system was introduced in the German version at the start of this round. The .org code base, however, is basically last round's code. Results of this are, as examples, that you still have an old style highscore and that there's no increase in research costs because of a general level of technical ignorance.

Besides which, the maximum you have to pay is 500% of the base cost, i.e. a malus of 400%.

Moderationsrelevantes ist farblich gekennzeichnet. Der Rest ist persönliche Meinung.
Viel Wissenswertes gibt es in der Icewars-Doku
Fragen oder Kritik? Forenmitteilung an Gray
Für weitere Fragen: wa-na-ka per Forenmitteilung nerven
Mefistole

« am: 17.11.2009 23:00:38 »

But is it possible to change the code during the round? If that was so you could try the percentage discount on the english server and compare the results with the malus system to see which one is best.

I don't know if it would make sense to do such a thing, or maybe the new code would be to complicated to implement on the go, but the percentage discount system seems pretty fair to me, and it doesn't exclude tha malus system, both could be used at the same time, right?

By the way does the malus calculate technological ignorance by percentage or by absolute numbers?
Gray
Global Moderator

« am: 18.11.2009 14:00:40 »

The current German version is actually a combination of both. First, you get the discount like before, i.e. if 50 people have researched topic x, then x costs 95%. But then it takes a look at the researches required for x, three levels earlier. I'm not sure about the method (number vs. percentage) used there, but this also may result in a multiplication factor, only this is above 1. Both are then combined, so say there's a research which 50 people have (fleeters) but a lot of people haven't researched the prerequisites. So you have 5% discount but at the same time say a 200% malus (i.e. 300% cost) which makes the total cost .95*3 or 285% of the base price.

Code can be changed while the round is running of course. Now, I can assure you that the malus system (or several other changes made in .de) will not be added to .org this round. What might theoretically change is the numbers for the calculation of the cost reduction. I wouldn't count on it, however, since it would somewhat mess with all the people having completed research x, y or z.

Moderationsrelevantes ist farblich gekennzeichnet. Der Rest ist persönliche Meinung.
Viel Wissenswertes gibt es in der Icewars-Doku
Fragen oder Kritik? Forenmitteilung an Gray
Für weitere Fragen: wa-na-ka per Forenmitteilung nerven
Seiten: [1]   Nach oben
  Drucken  

Gehe zu: