IceWars *wink* Community
19.01.2018 20:12:28 *
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren.

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge
News:

Übersicht   Hilfe Suche Profil Kalender Login Registrieren  
Seiten: [1] 2   Nach unten
  Drucken  
Autor Thema: We need more players  (Gelesen 8360 mal)
jamesjiao

« am: 03.01.2008 19:21:51 »

We have lost around 120+ players since I joined. There are only 380 players left now on the English server. How do we go about drawing more into this game??
eXceeD

DirtyButterfly (FSM)

« am: 03.01.2008 23:50:11 »

I dont know how why can manage more players to join this game now... but I guess that it would be possible to earn a lot of players by making a lot of promotion in forums in the time of the reset.at the beginning of a new round, it will be easier to bring new players into this game, and I guess that it would be useful if we make some worth-of-mouth-advertising , because in this way I started to play Smile and I`m still addicted  Deal/Contract

Ben

« am: 04.01.2008 03:13:43 »

Yeah, I think it is up to the new english players to tell their friends about that new fantastic game they discovered. Wink

I don't think I'd started IW when reading about it on some mmorpg-site, it hasn't enough eyecandy or specialities like modular spaceship construction system or anything that would immediatelly catch ones attention.

Most of the stuff that makes IW so special comes to your mind when you play it and play it and it never starts to bore you. I started playing IW 4(?) rounds ago, first beeing amused by the funny diary entries, than getting bored when I couldn't find definite information about buildings and ships, turned happy again when meeting some friendly guys (and a even more friendly girl Wink) whose alliance I joined, and later getting even more bored when I realized that I had no chance about those damn DigDaddies flying around. ^^
But in the end, the folks owning those undefeatable ships turned to be pretty much okay, I got to know some more ppl, learned to play the game, both in strong, organized alliances as in smaller, more relaxed companionships and with different forms of government. This process still moves on, there is no round you can't learn something new, and if you don't take this all to serious, there's no reason to stop playing.
I can't imagine any other game having such a long term motivation (as I said - if you don't bother to try all the posibilities the game provides).

I believe someone who starts to play the game, likes its humor and starts to support the game (there are so many funny msgs that have been implemented after users suggested them, so many pictures that were provided by users and even some features that have started as ideas of users), someone who integrates himself into the community (which is organizing meetings and parties (okay, won't be easy for the .org community ^^), brought an internet radio show to life, and alltogether isn't that bad - when not arguing about support the good/ bad alliance this round gets/ provides) really will love the game and only stop playing it, if there are serious reasons to do so.

To come to an end:
First I personally believe lots of the players that left the game recently were german players, that started a second account on the .org server and realized that it is a bit too much work to play more than one account. Smile

And second, I believe there will be lots of new players, when the reset date for the round on the german server is announced. Because then, many of them will start to try new strategies how they can build up their alliance most effectively in the first few weeks, what can be essential for a good round.

jamesjiao

« am: 04.01.2008 08:57:09 »

How long is a round? I know the English round started on the 1st of July last year. When is this round going to end?
Ben

« am: 04.01.2008 15:09:02 »

The rounds on the german server usually last for around a year. But there is no official announcement when there will be a reset until some weeks before it happens. For the english server... we will see. I hope there is the posibillity to reset en/ de servers seperately.

You will know that the end is near, when you discover the first penguins on your planets. Smile

Xinnie

« am: 05.01.2008 15:43:13 »

Look in the english forum. It's almost dead. One war so far reported in the forums, very few newbie questions while there should be lots of them as english help/tutorials are poor and Icewars is pretty complex game.
Rezark

« am: 07.01.2008 17:14:37 »

I am a NOOB at this game ... yes it is complex and I am trying to muddle my way through .. I just wish someone would translate all the german forums into english and maybe put them into a special section.

in the mean time ... we are gonna get invaded by sometime?

Resets scare people ... maybe if more on the reset was explained as people don't like to loose what they already have.

also maybe put the game on a Gaming site like MMOSITE ... to get it known to MORE people.
« Letzte Änderung: 07.01.2008 17:19:55 von Rezark » Gespeichert
Ben

« am: 07.01.2008 21:46:35 »

Translating all the german forums?! Your aren't serious about this, are you?
I recommend every new player simply asks what he does not understand and we try to help him then. This way, the english part of the forum will grow over time (maybe even bigger than the german part, as all non-germans post in english).

The penguins are sort of "riders of the apokalypse". Once they appear, they will expand exponentially, till the universe collapses. (There are some premises before they start expanding, but as the past tells us, it's only a matter of time till they are fullfilled Wink)

Reset is approximately once a year. Maybe the first english round will last a bit longer, because there should be some new players, that in general shouldn't be as fast as more experianced players.
On the other hand, it might also be reseted faster, because the span between new players and old players might become too large. And believe me: It's no fun when you don't have any chance, because experianced, organised alliances have so much more ships than you have.

And a reset is also good for ppl that havent startet at the very beginning of a round. These ppl will be forced to colonize medium to bad planets, because the first players of course colonized the best ones...

The new round gives everyone the same starting position.

ThuleX

no Acc

WWW E-Mail
« am: 15.01.2008 18:04:03 »

A few day ago I had a situation that made clear to me, why we don't have that many international players / international players leave again:

I placed a few battlestations and moved my fleet to one of them. Then I kind of forgot about it and wasn't on for one or two days. In the meantime I received a message:

Zitat
sorry... aber das hier ist mein revier.

du hast ca. 2std zeit deine kb abzuziehen.... und dir n neues jagdrevier zu suchen.

sportliche grüße
XXX

And two of my Bases where bombed. For the non germans here, the message said:"this is my turf, you have 2hours to move somewehere else". I speak german, but anyone who doesn't would have felt quite strange to get a message like that and I would propably have quit as one must think that international players are not welcome here.

Erst belächeln sie Dich.
Dann bekämpfen sie Dich.
Dann gewinnst Du!
-M.Ghandi-
Ben

« am: 15.01.2008 22:00:44 »

Hm, this msg sounds so familiar... ^^

I think I know the person who wrote it. And I think that this person knew he wasn't attacking a noob/ new player/ whateveryoulikebest. He/She/It also knew you're speaking german, although you don't seem to care about the game/forum rules (at least I can not find a "ThuleX" ingame and I can't remember anyone talking about attacking a player named "ThuleX"). And last but not least, I don't think he/ she/ it would have treatened a new player in such a manner. Smile

So if you're worrying about too many international players leaving the game, think about what could scare them more:
a) Loosing a battlestation in a war game (something that can happen)
b) Fearing a community full of cruel, evil ppl, that have nothing more to do but devastating harmless and peacefull players (something that doesn't exist - well besides the [krauts]-folks eventually Wink - but what you're propagating)

Besides, as far as I am informed, only one battlestation has been bombed and no fleet was destroyed.

You've been even informed, that you should abandon your battlestation. Maybe not in the most friendly way, but you have been informed! What else can one do? What sort of game do you think you play? Or what sort of game do you want us to play? For future attacks: Do you like us to ask if it is a convenient time for you, before we start our ships? Knuddel

What you're complaining about?

uncle_h

« am: 16.01.2008 04:55:57 »

A few day ago I had a situation that made clear to me, why we don't have that many international players / international players leave again:

I placed a few battlestations and moved my fleet to one of them. Then I kind of forgot about it and wasn't on for one or two days. In the meantime I received a message:

Zitat
sorry... aber das hier ist mein revier.

du hast ca. 2std zeit deine kb abzuziehen.... und dir n neues jagdrevier zu suchen.

sportliche grüße
XXX

And two of my Bases where bombed. For the non germans here, the message said:"this is my turf, you have 2hours to move somewehere else". I speak german, but anyone who doesn't would have felt quite strange to get a message like that and I would propably have quit as one must think that international players are not welcome here.

I'd have bombed his battle stations as an answer to a message like that.
Another thing: Ingame messages in German on an English server? How dumb and ignorant are some people here? Yet another reason to level this guy's stations and planets.

//edit: spelling issues xD
« Letzte Änderung: 16.01.2008 04:56:27 von uncle_h » Gespeichert

[Ich helfe gern]

[Wie poste ich richtig?]
Melting your ice since alpha 0.3.
Maugly

« am: 16.01.2008 13:12:51 »

I'd actually agree german messages are annoying on international server at best. I actually used to ignore them... Cause if I don't, I would reply in russian.
Ben

« am: 16.01.2008 14:49:05 »

As mentioned above:
There's a big difference between writing german messages to someone you don't know on an international server and writing them to someone you do know and from whom you know that he can understand them. Wink

ThuleX

no Acc

WWW E-Mail
« am: 16.01.2008 20:58:14 »

I knew someone would find a way to interpret this in a wrong way. Wink

I absolutely do not care that my BS was bombed, thats no problem. I know that I am a "veteran" player, and yes I can actually see that the atacker propably guesstimated me being not a noob, just because I look like I know what I am doing.

Its still a matter of principle to write messages in english on the english server. You can not be sure to have a german speaker just because he is in the Top 50. It is absolutely possible for any half smart non german to know the game good enough to be in that range of the HS. Thats what I am talking about.

To make this clear I am not complaining about being bombed, I do complain about the language it was done in.

Repitition is the mother of learning, so I repeat:

This is the international server, and here we speak english as a contact language. If two player found out they come from the same country and from then on communicate in Swedish, Norge, Suaheli or whatever, I don't care, but contact language is english. Anything else in one of the things that scares our international players away!   

By the way, we don't have to play hide and seek. I know who wrote the message, and I know that he has no way of knowing what my mother tongue is, for you didn`t know until now that you bombed ThuleX, aka Upchuck. He guessed right, yes. And I really just posted this to show that I think that this is a problem for the internationality of this server. Bombing a BS in times of peace without wanting to settle the planet is rude, but common, so thats no problem for me.

And btw, sorry for not having my enlish account name as forum name, but I can't find any "Ben" on the international server as a player either.
« Letzte Änderung: 16.01.2008 21:07:28 von ThuleX » Gespeichert

Erst belächeln sie Dich.
Dann bekämpfen sie Dich.
Dann gewinnst Du!
-M.Ghandi-
Bierimmu

Kranton

« am: 16.01.2008 22:52:34 »

His name is under his scin^^ where he have to be  Knuddel

Ben

« am: 17.01.2008 02:17:03 »

And btw, sorry for not having my enlish account name as forum name, but I can't find any "Ben" on the international server as a player either.

Yeah, right. And if you found one, that wouldn't be me. Wink

But there is this little text box in the forum settings, where you can write down your ingame nick, if it doesn't match your forum nick.

"Profile" --> "Forum Profile Information" --> "Ingame nickname for icewars.org:"

This nick will then be displayed below your picture.

Rezark

« am: 17.01.2008 14:59:44 »

maybe more people would play if they were allowed to have multiple accounts/characters  .. say 4 .. and be allowed to delete accounts easier if they feel they have screwed up ... say used all their metal in a building frenzy without replacing it ... or used all their construction points in a frivalous manner ... or researched race for space before they had at least 30 research buildings and 30 iron mines ...

the learning curve is steep ... messing up seems to be natural all over ... maybe a little road map on the researches .. hints like this will lead to next evolution sort of thing.

however this game is a pioneer game ... discoveries come hard and at long trial and error ...

One major point for NOOBS ... don't piss off the major alliances  ... for example http://www.icewars-forum.de/index.php?topic=20003.msg439823;boardseen#new

and that was just a trial to see what they could do sort of thing ... at least I think it was.

Oh .. giving me a two hour warning would be useless to me as I am only on a few minutes each day ... 24 hour warning would be more appropiate Smile
« Letzte Änderung: 17.01.2008 15:01:30 von Rezark » Gespeichert
Bursa

« am: 17.01.2008 15:42:59 »

well, i expect you experienced that too?

nevertheless, more accounts / player would be totaly against everything, a normal onlinegame stands. each player, who has about 10 hours playtime a day allready has a great advantage against someone like you (like you said, a few minuts a day). what do you think this advantage will be, when he can spend this 10 hours in 4 accs while you play your few minuts in 4 accs? that won't help anyone.
one account / player is realy enough. you can colonize several planis and so you can increase your production etc very fast.
finding the right way through the research isn't that easy, sure, but sometimes you just need to try ^^

Rezark

« am: 17.01.2008 18:08:47 »

Yes those suggestions are against the game rules ... you are allowed one account per computer or is it per network or per isp?

this game is not the only one I play .. I can do all I can do on my account in a few minutes then watch the paint dry for a few hours till i can do something else ... actually as the game progresses there is more to do ... more colonies and such .. workin towards my forth atm .. which considering that I spent all my resources building the imperial tax thingy building so I could research into evolution 3 or is it 4 might take a week or so to get myself back into shape so I can build more than an outhouse for my dog  Shocked

I took a look at the war thread and I think I will hide myself deep in the farthest corner and pretend to be a snail with moss all over me
Ben

« am: 17.01.2008 22:26:11 »

and be allowed to delete accounts easier if they feel they have screwed up ...

You can simply start a new account and never again log into the old one. That's absolutely no problem. Smile

The two hour warning before bombing someones battlestation was merely a gesture. Of course, you don't want to give your opponent the opportunity to really build up defense/ send ships/ whatever. It is more to signal: "We don't have serious problems with you, but we don't like this battelstation there."

One major point for NOOBS ... don't piss off the major alliances  ... for example http://www.icewars-forum.de/index.php?topic=20003.msg439823

I guess they would let him surrender without too high reparations (he didn't cause much damage as far as I can see), but before this, he should search a way to communicate with them. Wink

Yes those suggestions are against the game rules ... you are allowed one account per computer or is it per network or per isp?

One account per person and computer is allowed. This means, you and your brother are not allowed to play from the same computer, but if he has his own one, its no problem playing with the same IP (behind a router e.g.)

Seiten: [1] 2   Nach oben
  Drucken  

Gehe zu: